Sunday, March 7, 2010

Did I mention we're living in a tent....

I think I forgot to mention WE BOUGHT OUR FIRST HOUSE!!! It's an 80's style triangle tent with poles in the middle!! We are so proud and named it Mothership. We also went out in search for sleeping bags and found a great deal. A guy at an outdoor store gave us each a $40 discount!
When we returned from Able Tasman the hostel we've been staying at needed extra hands to help with maintance. We are camping in the staff garden and work 2 hours a day cleaning the kitchens or making beds in return for FREE accomodation. This saves us over $200 a week!! Since we were planning on saying until March 11th (Taylor's 23rd bday)it works out great! The hostel is called Paradiso and has been our favorite thus far. We have met some great friends including The BFG, standing for Brazil, France and Germany. It's a group of 4 guys that we've had a lot of fun with since our return to civilazation. Every place Taylor and I go we find a new "posse." It's exciting to arrive in new towns because we never know what kind of people we will befriend or what people we will run into again. The beauty of traveling!!
We leave Nelson on Taylor's birthday and start our journey to Hokitika's Wild Food Festival. It's a 3 day music/food festival over her birthday weekend. It also happens to be the festival's 21st birthday. The cuisine will range from traditional Maori food to fish n chips (pronounced fash and chaps) to grub worms on toast! The music runs until late and we have reserved our camping passes. The purchase of our sleeping bags and tent was well worth it. It will be over 2 weeks until we see a bed! The festival encourages everyone to dress up in a theme of your choice. We visited the $2 store and our theme is Fern Gully/ Jungle Girls meets Music Festival. It's going to be a great 23rd birthday for Taylor!

1 comment:

  1. Ok I hope that you read these. Because I do not have gay-book I have been reduced to blogging but I want to let you know I will do it for you and you only...only because Lydia and I had an e-mail thing while she was in Japan. We should start doing that by the way because I have some shit to tell you that I would really rather not straight post on the web for all to read. Yes thats right these stories will only be privy to you, me and anyone who can hack into my e-mail, and in that event well shit I guess they deserve some entertainment. From your photos it really looks like you are not having any fun at all, sorry the weather there is clearly sooo mediocre, what a bum deal. It was great to hear from you, and for future reference when you call me, call and leave a message and then hit me back and I will pick up...if I am there. Sound Tribe was amazing and I want to tell you all about it, you would be proud of the get down. Hmm, Montana is still what you would expect but a little less interesting now that you are absent. I miss the hell out of you and would have sold my right ear to have you in Portland while I was there...all 18 or so hours of it. Ok love gotta run. Only you could turn me into a blogger.
    Peace Kiwi Lover.
    -Megs

    ReplyDelete